DrJ is currently looking for an enthusiastic & dedicated person to add to our technical team as a Research Engineer. DrJ’s technical team specializes in testing and product development of structural components primarily for residential and commercial light-frame construction, including metal plate connected wood trusses, wall panels, insulated concrete, and various other structural products.
The Research Engineer position for DrJ involves working with clients to determine testing needs, producing test plans and procedures, overseeing product testing, and developing written reports. The duties include project management and a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, building code review, CAD detailing, calculations, statistical analysis of data, basic programming, and test fixture design. Modeling and/or calibration of tested components or building systems in finite element analysis programs, such as SAP2000 or RISA-3D, may also be required. Primary work will be in residential and commercial light frame wood construction but will also include other construction methods. The Research Engineer will provide technical support for the Laboratory Manager and/or Senior Laboratory Technicians on all assigned projects.
The position will also have overall responsibility for the technical operations and the provision of the resources needed to ensure the required quality of laboratory operations including:
- Ensure accurate and consistent testing procedures through the validation of all current standards.
- Develop, modify, and validate new test methods and procedures.
- Implement, maintain, and improve the quality management system in accordance with the ISO 17025 standard.
- Carrying out audits with internal auditors and accreditation bodies.
- Work will be performed independently with minimal oversight from general management.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to write professional test plans and research reports.
- Knowledge of design specifications for wood, concrete, and steel materials.
- Ability to use finite elements programs such as SAP2000 or RISA-3D.
- Proficient skills with computer office programs such as MS Excel and Word.
- Basic programing ability (e.g. MatLab, MathCAD, VBA)
- Ability to obtain PE/SE license
- Knowledge of the International Building Code and/or International Residential Code.
- Proficient at using AutoCAD and/or other drafting programs.
- Familiarity with ASTM Standard Test Methods for structural products.
- Knowledge of statistics.
Minimum B.S. in Civil/Structural Engineering from an ABET accredited program. M.S. in Civil/Structural Engineering is preferred.
Interested? Submit a Resume.